Intel's Moblin dumps Ubuntu in favor of Fedora

Gian Paolo Mureddu gmureddu at prodigy.net.mx
Thu Jul 24 10:18:39 UTC 2008

Rahul Sundaram escribió:
> Hi,
>
> Interesting move from Intel. Let's hope they start contributing to
> Fedora more.
>
> http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/07/23/moblin_reworked/
>
> Digg It:
>
> http://digg.com/linux_unix/Intel_s_Moblin_dumps_Ubuntu_in_favor_of_Fedora
>
> "Under the changes, the existing Ubuntu-based kernel is out and Fedora
> is in, along with a set of Gnome-compatible mobile components that
> updates Moblin's previous Gnome implementation.
>
> Dirk Hohndel, Intel's director of Linux and open-source strategy, told
> The Reg there was no falling out with Ubuntu, but the move to Fedora
> was a technical decision based on the desire to adopt RPM for package
> management."
>
> Rahul

Interesting read indeed...  I don't mean to flame, and I don't know all
the technicallities involved, but I find it rather interesting they are
presenting as one of the reasons to move towards a Fedora base the
package format, which is interesting as I've gottent into way too many
discussions about which package format is "better" (.deb or .rpm), and
since I don't know any intrinsics about both formats I cannot say as
such (I use RPMs and am comfortable with them, but I've also used DEBs
and dpkg directly and they don't feel too much different at the
barebones level)... At any rate, just like Jeff says, hopefully this
will mean greater involvement from Intel in Fedora, and lining
themselves with Fedora's policies.