Mission: Video blogging Fedora screencasts for use in Miro

Jeff Spaleta jspaleta at gmail.com
Fri Jun 13 06:12:13 UTC 2008

On Wed, Jun 11, 2008 at 11:15 PM, Valent Turkovic
<valent.turkovic at gmail.com> wrote:

> I accept! Let's do it. Can you please comment on my current
> screencasts, do you feel that these basic tutorials are needed.

I'm deliberately not going to comment on the value of any specific
topic.  I am overly critical, to a fault, and to be quite frank I
don't think I've earned the right to judge the value of any effort put
forth. I might have helped shaped the discussion, and encouraged
people to do these screencasts, but I'm not the one doing them so I
should not be a judge as to their value on an individual basis.  I
appreciate and value any good faith effort to get the ball rolling.

I think the best judge of the value of a particular topic are going to
be the other people who are doing the work with feedback from the
target audience.  I am absolutely not the target audience.  I
personally gain no value in tutorial screencast,  but I see an immense
value in providing them to the user base as a way to lower the bar.

I'm happy to let people experiment for a couple of weeks and then
after FUDCon we can perhaps see a leader step forward and organize a
group of people who can do the work and evaluating the screencast idea
pool into a tasklist.   In fact it might be a very good idea for Greg
to hold a little screencast/video editors meeting at FUDCon to put a
focused roadmap together.  I really hate I can't make the FUDCon, I'll
be attending a work related conference.

> Is it
> better for this project that me and other contributors better use
> their energy in making screencasts of some "higher" fedora features or
> is it ok to start from the beginning. I believe that some people would
> benefit with explanation of atleast what are the elements od the
> desktop they are seeing (GNOME) and then take it from there do to more
> advanced things.

These are very good questions.  And I think these are questions that
will get more attention once we can show more people that doing these
things are possible and that its possible to distribute them to users
in a meaningful way.   Once we have a few of these, even if they are
the wrong topic out in a consumable fashion in Miro, I expect to see
significant feedback that will help shape the answers to these
questions.

-jef