fedoraLife Concept (condensed version) online now

Nicu Buculei nicu_fedora at nicubunu.ro
Fri Jun 13 13:05:33 UTC 2008

Lucas Saboya wrote:
>     Actually, the Fedora Unity project releases a DVD and CD set of
>     EVERY SINGLE PACKAGE in Fedora in one set of install media. They
>     call it the "Everything Spin." The problem with this is... it is 4
>     DVDs or 23 CDs.
>
> Ok, but dont you thing that 4 DVDs ou 23 CDs its a little HUGE amount of
> data, that sometimes wont be NEVER used by a normal user, that only
> wants to edit his/her videos or engage into a meeting ?

That is the superset of *all* our packages. With the same tools used to
produce it, anyone can create his own subset ("spin") with whatever he
think is useful.
If he manage to prove the spin is useful for a large category of users,
then it can be hosted on Fedora infrastructure (torrent). It is is even
more useful than that, then it may get even hosted on the mirrors.
The trick is to produce a spin which is useful.

>     So is the point to make a more usable version of Fedora? Or is the
>     point to ship everything in the initial install?
>     What is the goal you are looking to achieve? It seems really unclear
>     to me.
>
> The point is tho make a usable version of fedora, shipping not
> everything but just the things we KNOW that will help the common users
> that uses a PC just to do a PART of their work not US who can easily
> compile our own version of fedora and put everything we want on it. is
> that so hard to do, thing like common users ?:)

It is hard because there are a lot of definition of what "common users"
need. For example, it can be argued that common users do not need
video/audio editors (see the "fedoraLife" subject of this thread) and
that such applications are needed by a niche ("creative").

>     Ready to roll up your sleeves?
>
>  Thats what I'm doing right now :)
>
>     So when are you going to show us some code?
>
> let's go codding, so ! But remember that this is not the fedora
> developer list, its the MARKETING one :)
> this means, the codding doesn't happen here, the idea of the email is to
> compile a concept of the programas we can put with fedora to make a
> clean and functional instalation.

The first step is to produce something like this:
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Artwork/ArtTeamProjects/FedoraArtStudio/PackageManifest

And then, turn the list in a kickstart file. After that, producing the
spin is only a matter of clicks.