joining Marketing

Karsten 'quaid' Wade kwade at redhat.com
Mon Mar 10 14:48:39 UTC 2008

On Mon, 2008-03-10 at 10:36 -0400, Jon Stanley wrote:
> 2008/3/10 Karsten 'quaid' Wade <kwade at redhat.com>:
>
> >  Any objections to adding a bullet to step 4?
> >
> >  " * You must introduce yourself to the mailing list before you can be
> >  approved for the 'marketing' group."
>
> Hmm, I guess that 'fedorabugs' (which I'm semi-in charge of) is used
> for the same stuff (as well as bugzilla access), and all that we
> require for a barrier to entry there is cla_done, manually checked by
> the sponsor (read: me) before approving the membership.

Then why bother?  One cannot request group entry until one has cla_done,
but once having it, why put a human in the step?  Why not make
'fedorabugs' auto-approved at that point?

The reason for the human in the step, IMO, is to humanize the process of
joining a group.  Otherwise, we would get what group admins see all the
time -- people create an account and join whatever group sounds
interesting by name, without going to find out what that group is about,
how to become part of it, etc.

> It would be nice if various sub-groups of the project could agree on a
> sane barrier for entry, for exactly the reasons that you mention that
> I hadn't thought of before - namely voting.
>
> Note that I'm not against the requirement to be "known" prior to being
> sponsored/approved, but I think that the requirement probably needs to
> extend to all groups if we're going to make it a requirement.

I'm not sure that all groups need the same requirement, although they
should have _a_ specific requirement.  There is a strong history for the
self-introduction being the official "I'm joined" step.  The practice is
(or could be?) to check mailing list archives for a self-intro before
approving someone to a group.

> Now the big question - is FAS2 going to make all of this obsolete?

Doubtful, since it doesn't include an AI component. :D

> Done!

Cool; I'm figuring we can grandfather anyone into the group who has been
active on the list; we don't need to go back and ask for self-intros.

--
Karsten Wade, Developer Community Mgr.
Fedora : http://quaid.fedorapeople.org