F9 Beta blog for press.redhat.com?

Kerrin Catallozzi kcatallo at redhat.com
Mon Mar 17 15:25:16 UTC 2008

Paul W. Frields wrote:
> On Wed, 2008-03-12 at 09:17 -0400, Kerrin Catallozzi wrote:
>
>> Hi All- I know that the beta release for Fedora 9 is upcoming -- still
>> on 3/20, right?  We announced the F9 Alpha release on press.redhat.com
>> (http://www.press.redhat.com/2008/02/05/help-shape-fedora-9-alpha-release-now-available/),
>> so I was thinking we should do the same for the beta release.  I'm happy
>> to take a stab at a draft working from the beta release notes, but if
>> anyone else wants to give it a try, that works too.  We'd be posting
>> under the "Fedora Team" name.  Let me know what you think.
>>

> Kerrin,
>
> I'd be happy to help -- want to post a skeleton or something on the wiki
> for me to help with?  We have other cooler ways to collaborate, like
> Gobby, but I doubt you want to worry about those tools right now.

Hi Paul & All- Here's a draft of the F9 Beta blog. I tried to include
some of the enhancement highlights, but let me know your feedback on
what additional information should be included.

---
Curious About Fedora 9?
by: Fedora Team

If you’re curious about what might be included in the next version of
Fedora -- Fedora 9 Sulpher, due out in late April 2008 -- today’s Beta
release gives a good glimpse into what’s ahead. The Beta release signals
the feature freeze for the next release, meaning that all major features
that we plan to include have to either be complete or in a testable
state. It’s aimed at our developers and early adopters, but everyone in
the community is given the opportunity to give feedback to improve our
latest and greatest cycles. Testing of the Fedora 9 Beta release is
really simple because with live media images, you don’t need to install
anything.

Some highlights included in the Beta release:
o GNOME application enhancements including the ability share files via
bluetooth, DVD and DVB support and a new default CD player.
o Firefox 3 Beta 3 Browser
o Improvements for managing network devices
o A software flash browser plugin
o Consolidated dictionary support
o Anaconda installer improvements
o Live image improvements
o FreeIPA, to help make managing auditing, identity and policy easier
o Virtualization
For more information on enhancements, see the Beta release notes.
(http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Releases/9/Beta/ReleaseNotes)

Where does it go from here? Next, we take all of the feedback reported
from the Beta and make enhancements and tweaks in time for the upcoming
development and translation freezes and the planned April 22 Release
Candidate 1. The final Fedora 9 release is scheduled for April 29.
---

thanks,
Kerri