F9 Beta blog for press.redhat.com?

Paul W. Frields stickster at gmail.com
Tue Mar 25 02:27:36 UTC 2008

Kerri --

I thought I had sent this out but see that during one of my Evolution
crashes, the draft got filed where I didn't see it.  There are a couple
minor changes below:

On Tue, 2008-03-18 at 15:44 -0400, Kerrin Catallozzi wrote:
> Jonathan Roberts wrote:
> >> Curious About Fedora 9?
> >> by: Fedora Team
> >>
> >> If you’re curious about what might be included in the next version of
> >> Fedora -- Fedora 9 Sulpher, due out in late April 2008 -- today’s Beta
> >> release gives a good glimpse into what’s ahead. The Beta release
> >>
> > signals
> >
> >> the feature freeze for the next release, meaning that all major features
> >> that we plan to include have to either be complete or in a testable
> >> state. It’s aimed at our developers and early adopters, but everyone in
> >> the community is given the opportunity to give feedback to improve our
> >> latest and greatest cycles. Testing of the Fedora 9 Beta release is
> >> really simple because with live media images, you don’t need to install
> >> anything.
> >>
> >> Some highlights included in the Beta release:
> >> o GNOME application enhancements including the ability share files via
> >> bluetooth, DVD and DVB support and a new default CD player.

Since we can't ship the stuff that makes DVD and DVB work, how about
this:

"o  GNOME application enhancements, including a new global clock, better
file sharing via bluetooth, improved support for using file systems over
a network, Totem improvements, and a new default CD player"

Also:

"o  KDE 4, which includes a brand new desktop and panel with many new
concepts, integrated desktop search, and a brand new visual style called
Oxygen -- all integrated by Fedora's KDE special interest group"

> >> o Firefox 3 Beta 3 Browser
> >>

> > I think it's beta 4 now ? I've updated the Release Notes to say this but
> > actually I'm not certain!

It's now Firefox 3 Beta 5.

> >> o Improvements for managing network devices
> >> o A software flash browser plugin
> >>

> > Should probably try and highlight that it's a *free software* flash plugin,
> > that's enabled by *default*
> >

> >> o Consolidated dictionary support

"o  Consolidated dictionary support for consistent results and lower
memory usage"

> >> o Anaconda installer improvements
> >>

> > encrypted partitions might be worth mentioning here explicitly

Also:
o  easy resizing support for ext2, ext3, and NTFS partitions in the
installer.