Fedora in podcast - Run Your Own Server Episode 5

Valent Turkovic valent.turkovic at gmail.com
Tue Mar 25 12:31:14 UTC 2008

I listened to a podcast called "Run Your Own Server Episode" and in
episode 5 they talked about Fedora so here are my tomboy notes in this
email and also as a html page exported from tomboy.

http://feeds.runyourownserver.org/~r/runyourownserver/~5/97327624/ryos-podcast-episode0005.mp3

Fedora Project history. RHEL Beta?
• connection between RHEL - Fedora Project - Community
• Fedora release cycle
• Why is Fedora good as a server?
• Fedora installation process
∘ sneak peak of RHEL
∘ SELinux - suggested to be disabled
∘ LVM - explanation what is used for, but they don't use it and they
personally disable it
∘ Firewall - turned off because they make custom firewall scripts
∘ SELinux -  explanation of functionality, bad experience with it
• lockdowns on new installed fedora box
∘ chkconfig --list
∘ never run runlevel 5 on server! No X!
∘ dislike for lots of services running by default
∘ chkconfig --level 345 <service> off
∘ block ssh access to fixed IP address or host
∘ denyhosts and allowhosts
• fedora updates
∘ yum updates
∘ repositories
∘ reload fedora every 6 months because of release cycle :(
∘ end of live for fedora - 1 year, nightmare if you have lots of fedora boxes
• Conclusion
∘ you can see what will RHEL look like in 2-3 years
∘ not recommended for producion server
∘ good for workstation

• Log files
∘ general discussion about log files, unrelated to fedora

Cheers,
Valent.

--
http://kernelreloaded.blog385.com/