Meeting Minutes of Fedora EMEA NPO Meeting

Marc Wiriadisastra marc at mwiriadi.id.au
Tue Mar 25 22:13:55 UTC 2008

On Tue, 2008-03-25 at 22:00 +0100, Robert Scheck wrote:
> On Tue, 25 Mar 2008, Bill Nottingham wrote:
> > Obviously I'm unfamiliar with German law, but there *are* packages that
> > handle invoicing, balancing, etc. And people say the American
> > legal system is hostile to open source...
>
> Please be aware, that ERP/GnuCash etc. != NPO management software. Managing
> regular memberships or similar things is not the goal the software you have
> mentioned in your mails.
>
> A membership is a yearly fee, not a product. And if somebody has to add the
> "membership product" to all of the members yearly, it isn't IMHO the target
> audience - just to name an example.
>

> Greetings,
>   Robert

If you are talking about a full fleshed out NPO Management software I
would say that you would have to find one.

I'm an accountant/auditor now as my full time job and personally GnuCash
if you manipulate it or Kmymoney is very good.  I say this because as an
accountant it is pretty easy to set up.

I'm not to sure what German Law has to abide but if it's documenting who
has donated etc. then there is a notes section in both those software
packages.

Other packages which include a whole range of different things such as
PHP CRM packages which have components for accounting and things like
that.  It's going to take a bit to set up, if you are going to purchase
software well you are going to be paying for the software and also for
the setting up.

Any help that you want give me a yell offlist but I've had a good look
at some of the packages around.  Also actual knowledge of Gnucash apart
from basic know how there is a guy on IRC who uses it for his business.
Have a chat to him his IRC nick is "Southern Gentlemen"

Cheers,

Marc