New Content for fedoraproject.org

Juan Camilo Prada juankprada at gmail.com
Thu May 1 05:39:00 UTC 2008

On Thu, 2008-05-01 at 01:24 -0400, Greg DeKoenigsberg wrote:
> On Thu, 1 May 2008, Juan Camilo Prada wrote:
>
> > So as discussed in the meeting, some leadership is needed in order to
> > accomplish that... that is why i want some people here in the marketing
> > team to help on it... we will be deciding what we think the website
> > should be. Making this decisions doesn't mean that that is exactly what
> > should appear on the site, but will give us an idea on what the website
> > should be for (remember that the website is a tool for promoting the
> > project and so far it is not doing it in the best way).
>
> Is it not?
>
> I think there's this assumption that the current Fedora website is
> terribly useless.  But I look at the front page of fedoraproject.org, and
> I see *exactly* what I think I *should* see.

Please tell me how many times do you visit the website to get news about
the project? or to get informed of something especific/related to it.

Most of the basic information about the project is being stored in the
wiki, which makes having fp.o a waste of resources/efforts. Every time a
new user goes to fp.o if he wants/needs information about something he
need to be redirected to the wiki.

> If others disagree, it is a relatively simple thing to produce a mockup
> and say "this is *my* vision."
>
> Unfortunately, websites are ideal targets for bikeshed arguments.  And I
> think that's what we've had, over and over.

Unfortunately a static, with no information website is bound to perish.
In order to keep it alive this effort tries to set a vision for the
website in which the content displayed is exactly what the user wants to
find in a very easy way (not having to navigate through the wiki) and
what the user wants is not always the same (at the end a website without
users is useless). We cannot think of ourselves as the users but as the
developers. We already know the project, but new or potential
users/contributors dont.

> I'm reminded of something one of my creative writing professors said as we
> critiqued one another's work: "If everybody has the same complaint, you
> need to fix it -- but if everyone has different complaints, you can safely
> ignore all of them."

I completly disagree if we are talking in the web field, and it really
worries me that somebody from the marketing team thinks that way...
shouldnt it be better if we could satisfy everybody?... of course that
is a hard thing to do.. but this project is not a one-time project, and
it will keep getting better and better, so even if in one instance we
cant accomplish everything there will still be time to keep working on
it and getting better.