Top Ten Tasks For www.fedoraproject.org

Ian Weller ianweller at gmail.com
Fri May 9 21:04:15 UTC 2008

On Fri, 9 May 2008, Juan Camilo Prada wrote:

> On Fri, 2008-05-09 at 15:04 -0500, Ian Weller wrote:
>> On Fri, 9 May 2008, Patrik Cevela wrote:
>>
>> > I think the platform identification by "i386", "x86_64" and "ppc" is incomprehensible for newbees.
>> > It would be better call it "Desktop, 32bit version", "Desktop, 64bit" and "PowerPC".
>> >
>> Why not have both? -- ian
>>

> Because we want to avoid ambiguity.
>
> the idea is to provide an easy link for the most common installation
> media

It would provide an easy link, because people who understand 'desktop,
32 bit' and people who understand 'i386' are both in their natural
habitat.

Something like "Desktop (32 bit, i386)" and "Desktop (64 bit, x86_64)"
and "PowerPC (ppc)" should work. Also, be sure to link to a page
explaining popular computers and their processor types, or how to find
it on the current OS.

-- ian