Bleeding-edge Fedora

Greg DeKoenigsberg gdk at redhat.com
Mon May 19 14:17:07 UTC 2008

On Mon, 19 May 2008, Rahul Sundaram wrote:

> ". If you are a Fedora fan, but would prefer your Linux desktop to have
> fewer experimental software packages, you might want to postpone the
> upgrade for a month or two, or investigate one of the distributions with
> a policy of shipping stable and well-tested software only."
>
> ... implies we don't test our packages. If you agree with analysis, fine
> but I do think our choices can be explained further.

To be perfectly honest, I *do* agree with the analysis.  I think that
comprehensive testing, right now, is the biggest weakness we have.  Some
of the bugs we shipped with are pretty ugly.

My current circumstance is a great example.

I'm writing this from an F9 USB key I burned using Luke's Windows USB tool
on my mother-in-law's Windows computer.  Excellent!

But I'm using it because when I upgraded to F9 and then tried to use
hibernate, it bricked my laptop.  Bummer!

Some of these bugs could have been found with simple test suites -- but we
haven't managed to get that work done.  It's a real problem.

Look, we're getting *really* favorable coverage for F9.  I expect that
coverage will continue.  I think this is a case of taking criticism
graciously, admitting our imperfections, and working to do better next
time.

--g

--
Greg DeKoenigsberg