open account requests

Karsten 'quaid' Wade kwade at redhat.com
Tue May 20 22:17:28 UTC 2008

We're seeing more people joining Fedora and requesting to join various
subprojects and SIGs.  I suspect the ease of FAS2 combined with the
fresh hoopla around the release has attracted people.  Let's not
disappoint them by leaving their request for a group in limbo.  Yet ...

Some people seem to be requesting group access without first knowing
what a group is or what they need to do, such as send a self-intro.  My
suggestion is to reject those after giving them sufficient time to do
the self-intro etc.

We definitely do not want to sponsor people just because they checked a
box and clicked Submit.  Save your sponsorship for people who really
mean to be there.

Also, I'm putting in an RFE for the account system to add a "reason"
field with the rejection process[1], so we can explain why someone was
rejected, such as not following the established process at
ProjectName/Join.  Meanwhile, it is probably a good practice to send an
email to the person telling them they can re-apply after they follow the
per-SIG/subproject steps for account access.

- Karsten

(I am sending this duplicate email to multiple locations that need to
resolve this process.)

[1] https://fedorahosted.org/fas/ticket/50
Fedora : http://quaid.fedorapeople.org
gpg key : AD0E0C41