Mission: Video blogging Fedora screencasts for use in Miro

Jonathan Roberts jonrob at fedoraproject.org
Wed May 21 21:16:59 UTC 2008

2008/5/21 Jonathan Roberts <jonrob at fedoraproject.org>:
> 2008/5/21 Jeff Spaleta <jspaleta at gmail.com>:
>> Who's up to the challenge of creating an experimental rss feed for
>> Fedora tutorial screencasts in theora that we can use in miro out of
>> the box in Fedora 9?
>>
>> I've been trying to find a spare machine at work to host this sort of
>> thing... but I've just utterly failed.  I was hoping to surprise
>> everyone with a workable demo that you could submit theora vids to for
>> me to host as a starting point for figuring out how to really deal
>> with open video content in a user accessible way.  I think miro is a
>> workable solution.  But I've failed to deliver.
>>
>> So now I'm asking everyone on this list for help.
>>
>> Can someone put together a simple rss feed with just a couple of
>> theora videos that miro understands as a channel?  It doesn't have to
>> be a huge hosting commitment. We don't need to start with a Broadcast
>> Machine implementation and use Miro's inherent ability to speak
>> torrent.  We should be able to demo a feed using video houses in
>> Fedora's people space.
>
> I'll happily have a crack at creating an rss feed based on the videos
> in Paul's fedorapeople space, but I doubt I'll get to it until
> tomorrow evening.

OK, it was easier than I thought :) Below is an rss feed that miro
will understand. I made the mistake of following through on the miro
process to see what happened, but changed the details so that it's not
linked to the fedora project (other than via my ugly mug!)

There are some extra items we could add to this, such as categories
and tags, but you can do that as you post it to miro. Also, we could
add an image such as the fedora logo or something special the art-team
might like to do for this...

Best,

Jon

--------------------------

<?xml version="1.0"?>
<rss version="2.0">
   <channel>
      <title>Fedora Project</title>
      <link>http://fedoraproject.org</link>
      <description>Find out all about the Fedora Project, from
screencast tutorials to video interviews with members of our
community.</description>
      <language>en-us</language>
      <pubDate>Wed, 21 May 2008 21:04:00 GMT</pubDate>
      <lastBuildDate>Wed, 21 May 2008 21:04:00 GMT</lastBuildDate>
      <docs>http://www.rssboard.org/rss-specification</docs>
      <managingEditor>jonrob at fedoraproject.org</managingEditor>
      <webMaster>webmaster at fedoraproject.org</webMaster>
      <item>
         <title>GVFS</title>
         <link>http://pfrields.fedorapeople.org/screencasts/GVFS.ogg</link>
         <description>Have you heard about Gnome's new GVFS system? It
lets you copy multiple files at once, queues transfers and keeps track
of everything you're doing in one neat window.</description>
         <pubDate>Wed, 21 May 2008 21:04:00 GMT</pubDate>
	 <enclosure url="http://pfrields.fedorapeople.org/screencasts/GVFS.ogg"
length="4064708" type="video/x-theora+ogg" />
         <guid>http://pfrields.fedorapeople.org/screencasts/GVFS.ogg</guid>
      </item>
   </channel>
</rss>