I want a virtual Fedora coffee table book and you are going to help me get it.

Paul W. Frields stickster at gmail.com
Fri May 23 17:31:03 UTC 2008

> On Fri, May 23, 2008 at 6:36 AM, Alejandro Acosta
> <aacosta at fedoraproject.org> wrote:
> > How about a Blue (Fedora blue of course) ribbon laced as the infinity
> > symbol? It's easy, universal and we can easily use it on our shirts
> > (over our hearts) attached with a single pin
> >

> If this isn't it... its definitely the right direction. My concern
> however with this particular object is that it might be too small to
> consistently photograph well.  Especially how it would look sitting
> over the blue fedora polo-shirts or other fedora swag people might be
> wearing.  It's so inexpensive that this could actually be attempted at
> an upcoming event where there is a Fedora booth to see how it looks.
>
> But in general I like the direction.  I like the idea of not using
> "the" fedora brand as the symbol.   People can wear or not wear fedora
> branded swag or stickers as they see fit, when they have their candid
> taken with the object.  In fact I would love to see pictures of people
> decked out in upstream swag without a single Fedora branded item in
> the picture, but holding the brand neutral symbol for the ideals of
> the Fedora project.

My personal opinion is that ribbons are tired, and wearing Fedora schwag
or stickers would kind of defeat the point.  Whatever the object is
needs to attract the eye, so if it's something, say, blue, it would
almost be better if there's no other blue around to detract from the
image.  (Although I'm sure any artist would potentially come up with a
brilliant exception.)

What if we had a ceramic or something made of one of the blue speech
balloons Mo Duffy designed?  The *point* of it would be to be *empty*.
Because Fedora is waiting for you to write your own story -- to
personalize the community or the distro in some way, to leave or make
your mark as desired.

This lends itself to something where the recipients of the picture --
*not* the originators -- can even write their own words into the balloon
by scribbling on the picture, or editing the graphic.  Isn't that
remixing also part of the point?  And the freedom that you have to do
what you will with what we give you?

Ponder on this a bit, and let me know what you think.