Comments: IN DEPTH: Fedora 10 Preview

Paul W. Frields stickster at gmail.com
Tue Nov 11 14:13:10 UTC 2008

On Mon, Nov 10, 2008 at 05:05:35PM +0000, Jonathan Roberts wrote:
> 2008/11/10 Paul W. Frields <stickster at gmail.com>:
> > * What are the definite actions we can take to market Fedora and its
> >  features better?
> >
> >  * Alerts to specific venues and aggregators?
>
> Yes, I think Rahul even talked about automating this somehow, though
> I'm not sure.
> >
> >  * Add stories and links to personal blogs?
>
> Not sure what you mean here?

Essentially, "creating buzz."  This is something that other
distributions are good at, by making sure the general blogosphere
contains many hits on the stories they like.  So coordinating and
buttressing information by linking to them from our many members'
existing web presence.  Individuals all leveraging their social
networking memberships similarly.

> >  * Watch and reply to stories around release day?
>
> Definitely. Is good to try and catch misconceptions early.
> >
> > When should we do those things?  In other words, a schedule and an SOP
> > that is similar to the way some of the community technical groups like
> > Infrastructure work.
>
> I proposed this around 4 months ago:
>
> http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Marketing/BrainDump/Time_Based_Schedule

I think this should be a topic for discussion at the Marketing
meeting.  Jack, what do you think?

At first glance this schedule looks quite good.  I think the messaging
for features needs to be prioritized a little more in the 3rd/4th
months since by the time we get to 5th month we're already into Beta
time frame and everyone else is starting to talk about our features in
their distros. ;-)