Fedora Logo History

Nicu Buculei nicu_fedora at nicubunu.ro
Fri Nov 14 07:16:12 UTC 2008

Jon Stanley wrote:
> On Thu, Nov 13, 2008 at 10:01 PM, Duvelle Jones <duvelle.jones at gmail.com> wrote:
>> You know, I am not too sure about the reasoning to that decision. But
>> that is something that should be up for discussion, there may or may not
>> be legal repercussion for the use of a non-open typeface. (and I am no
>> legal expert, so I am not sure to what those repercussion might be.)
>
> Red Hat has paid for the use of the font in the logo, and can
> distribute copies of the logo royalty-free. The only reason that
> someone might need a copy of the font is to modify the logo, and per
> the trademark guidelines, that should never occur, therefore there is
> no legal ramification to distributing the logo as is.

And for various titles and additional graphics, we selected a free font,
MgOpen Modata, which is "officially", _the_ complementary font:

http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Logo/UsageGuidelines#Complementary_Font

As for logo modification, the initial proposal provided this as a
possibility, see
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Image:Logo-history-variations.jpg but
that was scraped.

Here is what we got from mixing the wordmark (in Bryant 2 font) and
additional MgOpen Modata glyphs (it is a recent development):
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Image:Fedora_secondary_logo_draft_guidelines.png