Wikipidia - Goodbye Red Hat and Fedora

Mathieu Bridon (bochecha) bochecha at fedoraproject.org
Fri Oct 10 14:30:57 UTC 2008

> Mathieu Bridon (bochecha) escreveu:
>>> Hello Guys!
>>> Read this bad news:
>>> http://www.linuxworld.com.au/index.php/id;1474805050;fp;16;fpid;1 This
is happening frequently. I think we will have to revise some things
>>> within the project, particularly the creation of a Legacy project or a
Fedora LTS.
>> There is a Fedora LTS. It's called RHEL or CentOS.
>
> So, we are working here to recommend Red Hat and CENTOS ??
>
> That's the question, Ubuntu has a LTS, Fedora don't! That's the main
problem of the Fedora Project.

And Ubuntu wants to take over the desktop / server market. Fedora doesn't.

And Ubuntu is trying to make profit. Fedora isn't.

And we could go on playing "find the differencies" for a long time ;)

> Today, we have many users! With this idea to recommend Centos and Red
Hat, we will have a lot of users in the future ?

> Thinking in this way, we will hear frequently "Fedora is a beta tester
version to add and improve technologies for Red Hat EL ".

Fedora is a lab, trying to push forward the latest and greatest free and
open source technologies (not RHEL, but all upstream and downstream). How
can you move fast if you have to maintain releases for a long time ?

> For me and for marketing, it isn't a great decision!
>
> Now i'm presenting lectures in all Brazilian states and i can't talk
about this.. USE CENTOS OR RHEL. I have to recommend Fedora.

> I'm here to represent and spread fedora, not Centos or Red hat EL.

So am I. But selling the wrong tool for a use case will only make bad
publicity for this tool, even if it's great in other use cases.

Mathieu Bridon (bochecha)
French Fedora Ambassador

"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary
safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." ~Benjamin Franklin