Wikipidia - Goodbye Red Hat and Fedora

Mathieu Bridon (bochecha) bochecha at fedoraproject.org
Fri Oct 10 14:40:33 UTC 2008

> SERPRO (Brazilian Government IT Department) has more than 9.000 desktops
> running Fedora (in all brazilian states) and now is migrating to Ubuntu,
> because is impossible to migrate every year to other Fedora Release.
> With the short time support is impossible to work and use Fedora.

If I have to be totally honest, being a hard Fedora advocate, I would
never inflict myself the pain of having to maitain 9000 Fedora systems. I
mean come on ! 9000 updates each year ! o_O

> - If you are a Geek, a student or developer, you can use Fedora
> otherwise, you have to use Centos or Red Hat EL.

I would rather say:
"If you want to help us build the future of computing, doing it in a way
that preserve users freedoms, come and join the Fedora Community".

What's good about having lot's of Fedora users ? What do they bring ? What
we need are contributors, which is rather different.

And don't tell me that to have contributors you need users. I know at
least one Fedora contributor (who will soon become a Fedora Ambassador)
and whose system of choice is... Gentoo.

Fedora is not about conquering the market, it's about improving the whole
FOSS ecosystem. If we wanted to be simply better than others, we wouldn't
redistribute upstream all the great features we have at each release,
often 6 months before others.

> Sorry, but, for me it don't make sense! I can't work in a project in a
> cooperative way, contributing and cooperating with something that's not
> to be used in a serious way.

Fedora can be used in a serious way, I mean, on this list, most of us (and
maybe all of us) are actually using it in a serious way.

Mathieu Bridon (bochecha)
French Fedora Ambassador