Wikipidia - Goodbye Red Hat and Fedora

Stephen John Smoogen smooge at gmail.com
Fri Oct 10 17:42:19 UTC 2008

On Fri, Oct 10, 2008 at 10:48 AM, Luis Felipe Marzagao/Yahoo
<lfelipebm at yahoo.com.br> wrote:
> Yes, it´s pretty clear... Of course we can do whatever we want.... If I want
> to open the "Space Monkeys Fedora" project I could.. But that´s not the
> point here.
>
> We are talking about wheter or not the Fedora board is willing to sponsor
> this idea.

What would the Fedora board sponsoring the project change? It does not
control staff/budgets to say "Oh you 8 developers will now work on
long term support." It is up to FESCO to say "You can't put those
updates into Fedora-X because it would break stability." and it would
be up to the community to vote in people into FESCO to say that. And
it would be up to the community to build a SIG that is interested in
that.

When Fedora works well, it is when things are done Bottom-Up. That
means the community has to want to do something, organize to do
something, show what it is doing, and then follow through in doing it.
The community must want to do the heavy lifting first, and then do the
heavy lifting. All the top level can do is say "This is what the
community wants, here is how we can help the community to get
there..." and grease the gears to make it work better.

When Fedora breaks down, it is usually because either people want it
mandated from above, or somehting feels like it has been mandated.
When the community doesn't do the lifting.. no number of strong-men
rulers can fix that.

--
Stephen J Smoogen. -- BSD/GNU/Linux