Developers vs Grandmas revisited

Mathieu Bridon (bochecha) bochecha at fedoraproject.org
Sun Oct 26 20:55:49 UTC 2008

Hi,

> I was wondering about something. I've downloaded every new distribution off of the Live CD. So after everything is loaded, once you get to your desktop, two things seem to happen: 1) PUP opens up and says: "You have updates," and 2) I go on and spend the next couple of hours house-cleaning, icons on the desktop, setting-up the file manager, etc.

Just for the record, Pirut and Pup died. We now use PackageKit.

> So, you know that Desktop icon you click on to write the contents of the Live CD to your hard drive? How about if we come up with several of those? Say, click here to write the two-gig Fedora Office package to your desktop. Or the three-gig Fedora Arts Package? Or Multimedia? And so on....
>
> These packages would have all the core stuff everybody wants, but then be top-heavy with speciality stuff, that would appeal to a certain professions or lively-hoods.

I think that's why we have several spins, one for Gnome, one for KDE,
one for astronomy people, one for artists, one for geeks in electronics,
etc...

> This would also mean we would not need all the DVD's, just Live CDs for everybody, and people could get most of the bulk they want via downloads after they have the core packages in place.

Please, let me my DVD. Let me have the joy to select each and every
package for hours every 6 months (knowing perfectly that yum will add
packages I unchecked for dependencies :)

Mathieu Bridon (bochecha)
French Fedora Ambassador

"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary
safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." ~Benjamin Franklin