Opening Red Hat Magazine

Mathieu Bridon (bochecha) bochecha at fedoraproject.org
Thu Sep 25 08:36:57 UTC 2008

>> If we decided to open up Red Hat Magazine, so that members of the Fedora
>> community were part of the editorial board, responsible for identifying
>> and
>> producing great Fedora content for a broad audience, and using the Red
>> Hat
>> Magazine voice directly -- would that be of interest to people here?
>>
>> I'm talking about running RHM completely transparently.  Open editorial
>> meetings, an open publication calendar, etc., etc.  Would you be
>> interested
>> in participating in such a project?
>
> My main worry is brand marketing. When I think of Red Hat Magazine, I
> expect items/content written/produced for the Red Hat products: RHEL,
> RHN, RHCE, RH-DS, RH-IPA, etc. [Even though that has not been the
> general trend of the magazine.] I don't think Fedora as at least in my
> brain I keep them as separate entities. A Fedora Magazine I would
> expect items on Fedora Linux, Spacewalk, FreeIPA, Fedora-DS, Dogtags,
> etc..
>
> Does that make sense to others? What would be the end product and what
> 'marketing brand' would it mostly embracing?

Definitely.

I'd rather see a Fedora Magazine too. It can use the same infrastructure,
but make it as independant as possible to the eyes of readers (ie: not a
*.redhat.com URL, Fedora look and feel, ...).

We should try to separate the two brands. Of course RedHat is liable for
Fedora, but if we use the RHM, we'll be seen as a RedHat product (which we
don't want right ?).

The recent "incident" already hurt the independance of the Fedora
Community. Let's not perpetuate this situation.

Regards,

Mathieu Bridon (bochecha)
French Fedora Ambassador