Linux game console ready to ship

Rahul Sundaram sundaram at fedoraproject.org
Fri Apr 3 07:03:49 UTC 2009

magesh wrote:

> i have always had a dream that one day linux might also have games like
> the windows... but usually the linux games are not like the others (eg:
> crisis, gta)
> is it possible for linux to have these kind of games.. Gaming is the
> best idea of marketting (60% of people using windows, does it for gamings)
> I also thought it would be great if the gaming companies like the
> Electronic arts, ubisoft could create games for linux (atleast a linux
> support for the games they create like the NFS)
> Then most of the people would migrate to linux.... i still dream about
> these hope to see it one day

Electronics Arts or any other game company won't port games for Linux
unless there is a real commercial demand. Look up the cost for producing
a modern 3d shooter. It goes up to over 20 million dollars and has
something like a TB of content. This is unlikely to happen without a
huge desktop share leading to a proportional customer demand or some
vendor paying these companies outright to get a good port running.
Sorry, there are no easy answers, here.

Rahul