Slogan, redux

Robyn Bergeron robyn.bergeron at gmail.com
Sun Apr 26 23:56:34 UTC 2009

On Sun, Apr 26, 2009 at 9:16 AM, Paul W. Frields <stickster at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Apr 23, 2009 at 04:09:48PM -0400, Paul W. Frields wrote:
>> Hi Marketeers,
>>
>> There is still some time left before a final slogan is required for
>> the Fedora release web site.  (Currently we use the slogan "Fire it
>> up" from the Fedora 10 release.)
>>
>> However, during the intervening period since we collected slogans, the
>> artwork for Fedora 11 has changed significantly, dropping virtually
>> all of the design elements on which we based our slogan guidance.
>> This is not a negative comment; in fact, I really like the new
>> artwork, which is quite different from the earlier versions that I
>> liked as well.  You might think I'm easy to please, but there are
>> plenty of people who know me that will tell you otherwise! ;-)  I
>> prefer to think that our Artwork team just does consistently great
>> work.
>>
>> Now the artwork features a lion (which is appropriate given the
>> etymology of the F11 release name, "Leonidas").  Since we try to tie
>> the slogan to the artwork, I've come up with some candidates.  I would
>> like to open the door for 48 hours for more suggestions.  At the end
>> of the process, I'll look at the total list and pick from it.
>>
>> I've updated the wiki and invite you to put in suggestions.  *Please*
>> look at the ground rules and try your best to stick to them.  If you
>> think your previous slogan should be considered, feel free to just
>> copy it to the new table.
>>
>> I'll look at the results on Saturday night or Sunday and touch base
>> with the list with some thoughts.  Thanks everyone!
>>
>> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/F11_release_slogan
>
> Thus far I really like "Lead the pack" the best -- but I'm going to
> hold this over for another 24 hours just in case someone comes in with
> a fantastic late-breaking entry.

I like this one; however, I'd like to point out that lions travel in
prides... and wolves / wild dogs travel in packs.  I'm not really a
nitpicker, and I think it sounds good, but other people (those much
more vocal than I :) ) may point out that the group of animals name
doesn't exactly match up with the lion, and make a big woop-dee-doo
about it.  Just sayin' :)

Of course, "pride" does have some nice double-entendre action going
for it, so things like
"Lead with Pride" (or Lead the Pride?) would probably work well...
"Run with Pride" would have a nice double-meaning (run the OS with
pride, run with the pride of lions) - but I think the preferable thing
would be to imply leadership (with lead) rather than being with the
group (running with... not necessarily ahead). "Innovate with Pride"
could work too... "Create with Pride" ...Okay, that one sounds like a
label my mother would have sewn into my clothing at age 5, but I'm
just throwing ideas out here that fit with the image. :)

I'll add to the wiki, thoughts welcome... I love making last minute
suggestions. Doh!

-Robyn