Marketing FAD 2010 - First Brainstorm

Robyn Bergeron robyn.bergeron at gmail.com
Wed Dec 9 04:41:03 UTC 2009

I'll add this to the wiki, but just wanted to throw this out there -

I know there is probably (a) a budget of sorts, and (b) budgets for a
lot of us who wouldn't have "corporate sponsorship" from our employer
(ie - students and such) - so while Hawaii does sound absolutely
fabulous, a ticket from Phoenix to Hawaii during that time (which is
spring break here in the US for a lot of folks, meaning travel prices
are higher) is in the $650 range, and from Boston to Hawaii is even
uglier (think more like 800).

So as much as it pains me to say it.... since it does sound
reeeeeeeallly nice...  we should probably consider something, you
know, slightly less exotic in the spirit of allowing more people to
come participate and/or saving that budget for allowing people to come
/ participate in fudcons of the future.  :)

That said: Las Vegas will have somewhat pleasant weather in March
(better than, say, Boston, I'd venture); an abundance of decently
priced hotel rooms, food options galore, conference space galore, a
lovely international airport with cheap transportation, and plenty to
do/see (even for our underage friends!).

Otherwise, I'd suggest a coastal city with a Big Airport for ease of
travel for any international friends we may have; Boston, Atlanta,
Seattle, Vancouver come to mind.