[Ambassadors] Re: Fedora 11: What do we expect?

Jeff Spaleta jspaleta at gmail.com
Mon Feb 2 19:35:39 UTC 2009

2009/2/1 Ashiqur Rahman Angel <angel at linux.org.bd>:
> Nop. People are using Ubuntu from all over the world. And that´s why Ubuntu
> is most popular.

Fedora is used all over the world!

http://fedoraproject.org/maps/f10/f10.i386.png

That is a snapshot of of unique ips that requested a mirror list from
our MirrorManager system in the last day.

Europe is  MORE densely populated per km^2 with Fedora installs than
is the US Coasts. Fedora is not a US-only userbase.  And thanks to our
mirrormanager stuff, we can actually visually that.  In fact we soon
I'll be able to visualize where we are growing the fastest...I have
the pieces in place now.

If you want the longer view as to Fedora's popularity than you can read this:
http://www.internetnews.com/dev-news/article.php/3786726/Red+Hat+Fedora+Claims+Its+the+Leader+in+Linux.htm

9.5 million!  And we have an actually methodology that backs up the
numbers we release to the press!

http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Statistics

I dare you to find anyone who can will go on record as to how
Canonical comes up with its Ubuntu install numbers.  I DARE YOU.
Canonical reps have yet to go on record anywhere with the methodology
of how they come up with the numbers they quote to the press.

And for the record Canonical has stated the exact same install numbers
for 3+ years now. 3+ years with absolutely no estimated growth..that
is what Canonical is saying.  If you want to trust those numbers,
that's your business.  But if you are going to talk about it here. I
demand that you dig up the methodology as to how they are counting.
Because we do everything we can to be transparent about it.... because
we care about accuracy and not about hype.

-jef