Cuba adopts Linux

Mario Torre neugens at limasoftware.net
Thu Feb 12 23:56:53 UTC 2009

 Il giorno gio, 12/02/2009 alle 09.50 -0600, Neville A. Cross ha
scritto:

> >From technical point of view they may use Fedora with xfce for
> computers with few resources. But I think the bigger issue is Cuba as
> a embargoed destination. I won't emit any opinion on this matter as it
> is a Political issue. Distros based on USA won't send any material to
> Cuba.
>
> http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Legal/Export
>
> But I am happy that they are taking steps for FOSS.
>
> Best regards.

Despite the political implications, Fedora is Free Software and is based
on Free Software. As is, Fedora, or any other spin, should be exported
and can reach any single person in the World. Limiting this, from my
point of view, makes no different than just selling and promoting
proprietary software.

I understand your concerns, but I don't agree with "Distros based on USA
won't send any material to Cuba", if this turns out to be true, I will
not believe in this "Free as in Freedom/Free Software Free Society"
thingy anymore.

That's just my opinion, of course.

Cheers,
Mario