Proposal: The New Fedora Marketing

Paul W. Frields stickster at gmail.com
Thu Feb 19 16:03:35 UTC 2009

On Thu, Feb 19, 2009 at 10:35:40AM -0500, Jack Aboutboul wrote:
> Karsten Wade wrote:
>> On Wed, Feb 18, 2009 at 06:18:02PM -0500, Jack Aboutboul wrote:
>>

>>> Also, this should all be kept under
>>> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Marketing/Schedule with trailing
>>> /releasever and an anchor from that main page to whatever the current
>>> release is.
>>>

>> Just a note that this fakey-nesting is deprecated under our page
>> naming guidelines.
>>
>> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Help:Wiki_structure
>>
>> Natural language page names, e.g. [[Marketing schedule for F10]], are
>> easier to translate, easier to find via search, and less exclusive.
>> Fakey-nesting requires each community member to learn the hierarchy,
>> which are not consistent across Fedora sub-projects.
>>
>> Since we're restarting the Marketing, we might want to take the chance
>> to clean-up, rename, and categorize key pages to make them work better
>> under MediaWiki.
>>
> That's great feedback man.  Thanks, and I absolutely agree.  Are there
> any wiki masters amongst us that would be willing to sit and do session
> or two cleaning up the wiki.  I would help, but I'm definitely not the
> best person to take the lead on this one...

This particular facet of wiki usage is not too difficult, fortunately
-- use English for page names, not slashes.

I just corrected a few pages linked from the [[Marketing]] page; it's
pretty easy to do.  Just check "What links here" on the side for a
page you're going to rename, making sure that you correct all the main
namespace ones.  I typically don't change links on users' personal
pages or translated pages when I move a page name.