Status of the picture book

Max Spevack mspevack at redhat.com
Wed Feb 25 17:52:06 UTC 2009

On Tue, 24 Feb 2009, Ian Weller wrote:

> * Approve mockup of page designs
> * Compile images and stories
> * Place images and stories in book
> * Proof stories for typography and content
> * Pressure FPL to write foreword
> * Approve photo placement
> * Create index of people in back
> * Other last-minute checks
> * CMYK-ify PDFs
> * Publish
> * ???
> * Profit!

My only experience with anything like this is being the editor of my
high school's news "magazine" which was about 90 pages long and came out
4 times a year.

We had a layout process that involved having a mockup of every single
page that started out as a description of what would be on the page.

Each page had an owner responsible for the content for the page, and the
mockup was slowly updated as content came in.

There was a team that made sure that layout felt consistent across the
whole thing -- not that every page is exactly the same, but that there's
a consistent look and feel.

There was a team that was in charge of editing and finalizing content as
it came in, giving the consitent voice to the final product.

What Ian is suggesting feels pretty similar to that.

===

Let's start by drawing a line in the sand of the Meeting on Tuesday
March 10th.  Where do we want the picture book to be by then?

Let's assume the book is 100 pages.  I'd suggest that we have a list
that describes every single page in the format given above, from the
front cover to the back cover.

===

> No way in hell we're getting this done by F11 so F12 Beta is my target
> for being published right now.

Some of Marketing's deadlines are tied to a release, and some are tied
to "whenever they are done".  This is in the latter category.

--Max