Making contribution to the Fedora project less abstract

Magnus Glantz mg at hacka.net
Wed Jan 14 08:16:43 UTC 2009

tis 2009-01-13 klockan 17:32 -0500 skrev David Nalley:
> On Tue, Jan 13, 2009 at 3:36 PM, Magnus Glantz <mg at hacka.net> wrote:
> > Hello there,
> >
> > I have an idea and some thoughts about getting more contributors into
> > the Fedora project (sub-projects and SIGs).
> >
> > I have 5 years experience working in a larger (30,000 employees) Telco
> > company trying to get a lot of those people involved in Open Source.
> > What I've learned is the following:
> >
> > Most people..
> > 1) ..does not know what Open Source is or/and..
> > 2) ..have a wrong idea of what Open Source is or/and..
> > 3) ..is afraid of Open Source.
> >
> > So I was thinking, what can convince most people like this, that joining
> > up and contributing to Fedora is a good idea?
> >
> > First off.
> > Joining an Open Source project is something pretty abstract, if you
> > don't know much or anything at all about what Open Source or an Open
> > Source project is.
> >
> > So, I thought you bright guys and girls at Marketing could think
> > something up :-)
> >
> > My initial thought was to somehow give people an easy-to-take-in insight
> > into the Fedora Project - making it possible for people to understand
> > how to contribute.
> >
> > For example:
> > * Feature some fun key and non-key people - What they do, the story how
> > they became a contributor.
> > * Fun and inspiring pictures from conferances and etc.
> >
> > Making contribution to the Fedora project less abstract. Showing people
> > who is behind the logo.. and what it could be to be a part of the Fedora
> > project.
> >
> > This may be information that is easy to access from fedoraproject.org
> > main page and information that ambassadors may distribute or refer to.
> >

> > -
> > Best regards,
> > Magnus 'magnusg' Glantz

> You mean like the picture book?

Well, not only like a picture book. Also covering other aspects, like
telling people in a very simple and non-scary/abstract way what Open
Source and/or the Fedora project is about.

My thought is an "answer the most common questions" kind of page.
Confronting what I think is the main reasons for people not contributing
(Does not know what Open Source is, Has a wrong idea what Open Source is
or Is afraid of Open Source). Using pictures and stories is a part of
making Open Source less abstract.

Also, the content of this page is probably more flexible. Eg. featured
people may change more often. So this page also brings forth individuals
in the project and gives them a bit of fame :-)

One may perhaps might use such a page to feature a more distinct 'this
months new contributor' in a more in-depth interview. Or that might be a
separate idea/page.

--
Best regards,
Magnus 'magnusg' Glantz