Picture book....

Ian Weller ianweller at gmail.com
Mon Jan 19 15:11:10 UTC 2009

On Mon, Jan 19, 2009 at 10:19:01AM +0200, Nicu Buculei wrote:
> The most important requirement from a technical point of view is to have
> the images big enough, so depending on the paper size we may want to
> resuest something like at least 4 or 5 Megapixels (multiply the page
> size in inches with 300 DPI and we get the minimum resolution needed in
> pixels).

I think to give us more freedom we'll want to ask for photos that could
theoretically fill the entire page, but we might put more than one photo
on a page (in some format... hmm) to break some things up and put room
for text.

> We can also talk about file formats and require  either RAW or JPEG with
> a high quality, we have to accept JPEG as not all cameras are capable of
> producing RAW, but a JPEG saved with a quality factor of 85 (with
> visible JPEG artefacts) is unacceptable, so we may go with something
> like at least 98.

Can we just ask people to place the quality settings on their camera to
the highest possible?

> Not sure about post-processing, like some noise reduction, sharpening or
> color adjustments: we'll do this ourselves for the selected images or
> require the submitter to to it. I feel more inclined for doing it
> ourselves, as it will allow contributions from more people.
>
> I don't think we can list requirements from an artistic point of view
> (quality, composition), as those are hard to define. This is where we
> will have to make the selection from the submitted pool.

Right. How about we ask people to submit multiple shots?

I'm thinking I'm going to need to create a workflow of some sort for all
of this...

--
Ian Weller <ianweller at gmail.com>                  http://ianweller.org
GnuPG fingerprint:  E51E 0517 7A92 70A2 4226  B050 87ED 7C97 EFA8 4A36