expand the user base by ... pointing people in the right direction?

Lisa Brewster sophistechate at gmail.com
Fri Jan 30 20:54:14 UTC 2009

It might not be the best communication method length-wise, but Twitter is a
powerful social search mechanism that even evil mainstream moneymaking
corporations are starting to embrace as part of their customer service
suite.  These messages have less delay than email, are designed to be
accessed while on the go, get to the point quickly, and are a great
opportunity to demonstrate superior customer service in front of other
potential users (which is commonly referred to as "marketing" *grin*).

The easiest way to tap into these conversations is by subscribing to the RSS
feed for your query on http://search.twitter.com, but there's no way to keep
track of which messages have been responded to.  A customer service tool
that I really like is called Get Satisfaction, which has a feature where you
can monitor when people say your company name, then reply and manage the
following conversation from their interface.  See an example here:
http://getsatisfaction.com/comcast/overheard/

I don't know if social customer service would duplicate any existing support
efforts (I'm sure it would), but it can be a more accessible system to the
average user, with bonus built-in publicity features.  If anyone else is
interested in exploring how this would work for Fedora, I am more than happy
to get the infrastructure set up and help you get started.

On Fri, Jan 30, 2009 at 9:33 AM, Jonathan Roberts
<jonrob at fedoraproject.org>wrote:

> > [or, if anyone has a pointer -- help docs? a mailing list? an IRC
> channel? a
> > wiki page? :) ... I can try an @reply to this person .. .]
>
> Would suggest pointing them to:
>
> http://fedoraproject.org/get-help
>
> Or if you want to point them straight at IRC:
>
> #fedora on irc.freenode.org
>
> Or if straight at a mailing list:
>
> fedora-list at redhat.com
>
> > Thoughts?
>
> I'm not really on many social networks like Twitter, kind of surprised
> people use them to discuss stuff like Fedora in 100 and something
> characters! I'd hope that anyone who uses them and sees something like
> this would do exactly what you've just done and try to point them in
> the right direction, not sure there's anyway we can formalise this.
> Unless someone wants to do something like start monitoring #tags?
>
> Jon

Lisa Brewster
http://www.sophistechate.com