Is Fedora for you?

Leonardo Menezes Vaz leonardo.vaz at gmail.com
Mon Jul 13 12:12:01 UTC 2009

> Expanded the section to include more information on Fedora audience, EL,
> EPEL and other smaller tidbits. Please review and add your comments
>
> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Overview#Is_Fedora_for_me.3F

"If instead, you are looking for a distribution that moves slower and
has a longer  lifecycle with commercial support, there are other
choices within the Fedora family of distributions including
derivatives like  Red Hat Enterprise Linux or free community rebuilds
of it might be more suitable for you and Fedora community enables and
supports this freedom of choice by providing infrastructure and
maintaining packages in the EPEL add-on repository for Enterprise
Linux."

(I'm new here and probably this was discussed before)

Why don't we have a kind of LTS version for some releases? That could
be really useful for those users who can't afford RHEL and don't want
use free community rebuilds. Fedora could be an alternative if we had
some version with a longer lifecycle, and I believe this could also
help RedHat too because there would be more people running on servers,
exactly where their product is more used.

More users, more bugs reported and fixed, more stability and reliability.

I'm a Ambassador here in Brazil and my role at the project is
promoting Fedora. Lots of people I talk here argue they don't use it
not because the bleeding edge software but because they just can't
reinstall a system every 6 or 12 months or upgrade to a newer version.
This same argument is often used by people who say Fedora is a
distribution for developers who want to aligned to brand new stuff and
not to Desktop users, for the same reasons stated above.

All we know Fedora is a great distro, and F11 is as good as any
mainstream distributions, but I just can't say people's arguments are
FUD, because they are quite right about what they say.

I know this may be not the main goal of this project, but a longer
lifecycle version in 5 or 6 releases could change this situation, and
also could help us reaching more users and different markets.

That's was my 2 cents. :)

Regards,

Leo

--