The "One" Page Release Notes

Eric Christensen eric at christensenplace.us
Tue Jul 14 16:19:09 UTC 2009

On Tue, Jul 14, 2009 at 03:40, Jonathan Roberts<jonrob at fedoraproject.org> wrote:

>>> How is that different from the release summary we used to do before? How
>>> do we differentiate this from the more technical detailed release notes?
>>

> I'm with Rahul here, this is almost exactly the idea of what we used
> to aim for with the Release Overview/Summary. There used to be lots of
> discussions about how best to create the Release Overview from the
> Release Notes without lots of duplication of effort across teams, and
> that's why the page Rahul linked looks like a repeated version of the
> Release Notes, because at that time we were experimenting with writing
> the two on a single page and then dividing the content out for
> different audiences.
>
> That didn't work particularly well, and certainly restarting the
> Release Overview/Summary with a clearer mission and method is a
> worthwhile goal, one I'd like to help with, though it wouldn't hurt to
> show a bit more knowledge and recognition of the work people did
> before... something that often seems to be lacking a bit in Fedora
> land! I've been guilty of this in the past, but I can now appreciate
> how trying it is to people who've worked on stuff.
>
> Jon

Jon,
I don't think we were trying to say that someone wasn't doing their
job in creating this documentation.  We are simply saying that there
may be a better way of doing these projects.  I know that I've been
asked where people can find a document much like I've explained here.

The Docs Project is constantly looking how we can produce the Release
Notes better and that we are getting the information out to our users
in a better way.  This idea is just one of those thoughts.

I know I appreciate everything that everyone does for the Fedora Project.

Eric