Comments about Microsoft and the GPL [OFF TOPIC]

Yaakov Nemoy loupgaroublond at gmail.com
Wed Jul 22 09:44:06 UTC 2009

2009/7/21 Kamin Horvath <mohaas05 at fedoraproject.org>:
> I don't see that happening. Switching from the NT kernel to a *nix kernel
> would break compatibility with all existing windows applications. That's why
> the goal here is in virtualization.

We're getting off topic, but here we go.

The NT kernel is one of those fabled microkernels that everyone who
isn't Tannenbaum loves to hate. There's a single service that runs on
top of the NT bits that provide all the functionality in windows.
FWIW, the NT kernel is a very well designed stable, and fast kernel,
which is the pay off of microsoft using some of its billions to hire
some of the best engineering out there. Considering that drivers tend
to run in the space above the NT kernel, the stability issues that
Windows is known for suffering are technically user space issues,
which is where windows comes no where near the quality of many other
OSes.

That said, Microsoft could switch kernels all they want, provided they
havea run time system that provides certain user space and 'kernel'
functionality to windows programs. They could also virtualize an older
stripped down version of windows using one of the many fine VT
technologies out there on top of a *nix kenel (or any other kernel for
that matter). There has even been research into providing modules in
the Linux Kernel to provide the same process management features that
Windows provides in order to run windows programs natively on top of
Linux. Finally, last i checked, MS still hires a number of very bright
developers, and if they wanted to, they could switch their kernels any
time they wanted. They were originally planning on doing just about
the same work in Midori.

But yes, you're right, the goal here is virtualization. It has nothing
to do with MS and the GPL, just that their GPL contribution is a set
of drivers for Virtualization.

-Yaakov