Welcome, fellow new people!

Mel Chua mel at redhat.com
Wed Jul 22 18:15:04 UTC 2009

(wherein Mel reveals a soft spot for new contributors, having been
through the "whoa! everything is new and confusing!" stuff not all that
long ago - almost exactly two months, actually.
https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-marketing-list/2009-May/msg00236.html.)

We've got a lot of new people this month. Welcome to...

* Ely
(https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-marketing-list/2009-July/msg00006.html)
* Rob
(https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-marketing-list/2009-July/msg00027.html)
* Martin
(https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-marketing-list/2009-July/msg00079.html)
* Andrew
(https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-marketing-list/2009-July/msg00096.html)
* Rangeen
(https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-marketing-list/2009-July/msg00126.html)

New folks: can you make it to our next marketing meeting (on IRC)?
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Marketing/Meetings - if you can show up
15 minutes early, or stay 15 minutes afterwards, I'm sure folks would be
glad to talk with you about how you might be best able to jump in. (I'll
be there, anyway. I want some help with all the stuff I'm working on ;)

Honestly, it's all about doing what *you* want to do - but sometimes
figuring out what you want to do is hard when you're new to a project.
And it's sometimes nice to be able to pick up on something small and
specific while you're learning what is out there or could be out there.
So we should try to find nice on-ramp projects.

For instance:

* Rangeen, I saw you work on FEL - does FEL need marketing?
* Martin, you're volunteering for the Red Cross, which is *ridiculously*
good at marketing and also managing volunteers - what practices have you
seen there that we should do in here?
* Rob, you're going to LUGradio: what can we do with radio? I know there
have been podcast interviews for Fedora in the past, is that something
you'd be interested in helping with?
* Ely, you're studying in Brazil, which I hear has some *AWESOME*
Ambassadors stuff going on that... for instance, since I only read
English fluently right now, I have no idea what is going on there, and I
think a lot of others here may be in the same situation. Can you think
of some way the English speaking community and the Latin American
community can stay in touch better?
* Andrew, you wanted to help with Fedora Insight, so we should... talk.
Are you on IRC? I am mchua in #fedora-marketing.

In other news, people working on stuff who can throw concrete "please
help!" statements out there, the list of names above are the people you
should be talking with.

--Mel