Comments about Microsoft and the GPL

Rahul Sundaram sundaram at fedoraproject.org
Thu Jul 23 12:39:39 UTC 2009

On 07/23/2009 06:06 PM, Rashadul Islam wrote:

> -what is the best side of this with Fedora and are we supporting this,
> if yes then why?

It is only in the staging tree of the upstream Linux kernel. It will
take time to vet the code, fix the issues and merge it properly. When
that happens, Fedora will inherit the new kernel and therefore support
this feature. It will help users who choose to run Linux as a guest
operating system.

> -More than, does anyone can violate the GPL license rules for their own
> business?

The code being submitted is itself under the GPL and hence there is no
violation

> -Why we saying Microsoft as a contributor to the linux kernel while it
> is already developed by Linux contributor?

The code was written entirely by Microsoft.

Rahul