Fedora 11 Tour

Paul W. Frields stickster at gmail.com
Fri Jun 5 13:34:43 UTC 2009

On Fri, Jun 05, 2009 at 02:44:22PM +0200, Max Spevack wrote:
> On Thu, 4 Jun 2009, Jack Aboutboul wrote:
>
>> I've been working on the Fedora 1 Tour page.  Link is here:
>> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Fedora_11_tour
>
> I think it looks good -- I made a few little tweaks, and I'm going to add
> my podcast w/ Dimitris & Diego to the list.  The screenshots page is very
> nice as well -- my thanks to herlo and moixs for their work on that.
>
> The question now is:
>
> How do we drive as many people to that tour page as possible?  When Red
> Hat releases its press blog, it would be nice to include a link to the
> tour.
>
> We should make the tour the focus of what we push out on Planet, and to
> the various news sites on Monday.  A success metric would be having LWN
> link to that page in a "if you're waiting for F11 tomorrow, here's
> something to whet your appetite" kind of way, which they will only do if
> they find the content on that page (the interviews and podcasts) to be
> compelling to their audience.
>
> My recollection is that Marketing missed the Websites freeze to get a
> link to the Tour page on fp.org and get.fp.org -- that's something we
> definitely need to correct next time.

It also missed the freeze for the press.redhat.com blog entry, which
had to go out for review early in the week.  Nevertheless I'll see if
we can get this inserted -- can't hurt to try.

Jack, ensure you are capturing these scheduling needs, so that you can
develop a marketing schedule with John Poelstra that shows these tasks
and dependencies.  It can be added to his TaskJuggler system, and
calendar items can be derived from that.  Other teams such as Design
and Documentation arer doing the same for each release.

By the way, I would argue that this tour subsumes any "release
summary," and no additional document like that is needed.  Developing
too many release-specific pages not only makes maintenance a
nightmare, but also ends up being very confusing to the teams trying
to figure out what the difference is between them.  I can only imagine
how confused they make end-users.  The tour is the right place for
this high-level information.