Fedora Marketing TNG: Project FooBar

Jack Aboutboul jaa at redhat.com
Mon Jun 22 20:03:38 UTC 2009

Hey Everyone,

Just wanted to keep people posted as to what's going on in Marketing and
the outcome of my trip to Westford last week.  As many of you know, I've
been thinking about what the next steps we need to take in Fedora
Marketing should be.  I feel that we have come along way in terms of
improving process and that we can go even further while also putting a
fresh spin on things.  For some time there has been discussion of a
"Fedora Magazine" concept; this goes back a couple of years.  I really
liked the idea and it sort of stuck in my mind all these years and I was
thinking we can centralize things around that format.  I had a few rough
ideas for kickstarting this, but mainly my motivations were to solidify
policies and process for what content Marketing creates, who we create
it for, the content creation schedule, and how we distribute it.

Last week, I went up to Westford to and I met with Mo and Mel and
Stephen Smoogen who was in the house for a visit.  We ran through a
bunch of ideas and goals for Marketing's future and the idea of a Fedora
journal/magazine type setup.  The results can be found here:
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Marketing/Project_FooBar.  Mo came up
with the name, lol.

There are 5 main goals that we are striving for as you can read on the
wiki page.  Centralization of Content, well scheduled, recurring and
prepared content, design which is consistent with the philosophy of the
Design team, standardized "official" feeds for distribution of different
forms of content, mechanisms for localization and sharing the media with
press or on social news sites.

Feel free to read the wiki page and add/edit, etc.  I would like to know
what people think of this type of format, and I know people will have
many question so I would like those to be voiced now so that we can
answer them and make sure we are working to build something that is
useful for the community with input from the community.

If anyone has any comments, please feel free to email me/respond to list.

Jack