News and media coverage plan for Fedora 11

Steven Moix steven.moix at axianet.ch
Fri May 8 06:01:53 UTC 2009

Hello everyone,

The release date for Fedora 11 is coming close, so it's time for some
coordination between the Ambassadors and the Marketing group! In this
mail, I'm going to address different points, so everyone has a clear
view of what is going on and how we can effectively split up the tasks.
Also any feedback is of course welcome.

1. In the next couple of days, the Documentation team is going to write
an official Release Announcement for Fedora 11 in English.
2. As soon as this document exists in a final form, it is going to be
translated in a couple of languages, if all goes well German, French,
Spanish, Portuguese, Hindi, Italian and Arabic. This will be coordinated
by the Documentation team with the aid of the Translation team. These
translated versions should be available a few days before the final
release.

Now with that being done, we need to coordinate around everything else.

Earlier this year, the Marketing group has set up a structure called the
News Distribution Network (NDN) [1], which aims to distribute Fedora
news to the global media. Some Ambassadors from different languages have
joined this effort and will be pushing news to a list of publication [2]
they maintain.

Besides that, there are a number of ways in which we really need the
Ambassadors help:

1. Track all the Fedora news you see on the web and add it to our press
archive page [3], this will help us judge the depth of coverage so that
we can focus our messaging more precisely in the future.
2. At release time, and for a couple of days after that, we need you to
follow the comments on news websites. People will probably have
questions there, or you will have Fedora Myths to bust [4]. As much as
some of us might like to flame people, our official policy is to be as
professional and possible while at the same time making our points clear
and well understood. Making members of the community angry us will prove
unproductive.
3. Blog! You can start right now, get vocal about Fedora! Talk about the
upcoming release and what the time table is. Talk about a feature you
care about. Talk about how we got to 11, but most importantly, just
talk!

If you feel like there is anything to add to this list, then please feel
free to reply and make sure to cross post to fedora-marketing-list as
well. Also, please let everyone know in what capacity you can help so
that we can coordinate efforts amongst everyone. I hope that everyone
has a better understanding of the process now :)

1: https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Marketing_news_distribution_network
2: https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Marketing_press_publications
3: https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Marketing/PressArchive/F11
4: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/FedoraMyths