Confusion of over Red Hat/Fedora trademarks

Rahul Sundaram sundaram at fedoraproject.org
Tue May 12 01:16:22 UTC 2009

On 05/12/2009 06:06 AM, Paul W. Frields wrote:
> On Tue, May 12, 2009 at 05:57:05AM +0530, Rahul Sundaram wrote:
>> On 05/12/2009 05:45 AM, Paul W. Frields wrote:
>>
>>> I'm thinking the answer isn't to post the same correction on two dozen
>>> different web sites.
>> Add a comment on the original site and post the same to LWN and send it
>> to the author as an email as well. Yes, it is a bit of redundancy but I
>> don't see another way.
>
> What about the other sites that pick it up from the Washington Post,
> where it got its original traction?  (Serious question.)

Unless you want to track every one and comment in all of them, I would
say, pick the relevant ones and let the rest go. We can't educate the
world in a single day.

There is a genuine friction between Free software and trademarks.
Unfortunately this article doesn't capture it well and only adds more
injury to the lack of basic legal knowledge among foss developers.

If we are going the extra mile, get Red Hat Magazine folks to get one of
our lawyers to answer the basic questions on trademarks and it's
interaction with FOSS and post the video. Then publicize that heavily.

Rahul