Fedora 11: Firewall - Using the Wizard

Eric Christensen eric at christensenplace.us
Tue May 26 11:45:01 UTC 2009

On Tue, May 26, 2009 at 03:56, Frank Murphy (Frankly3d)
<frankly3d at gmail.com> wrote:
> Rahul Sundaram wrote:
>
>>> Frank,
>>> Just out of curiosity, isn't it still IPTables with a fancy frontend?
>>
>> Yes but iptables on the command line is completely out of reach for
>> desktop users.  iptables and usability have nothing in common.
>>
>> Rahul
>>

> and Usability is a feature.
>
> Frank

Absolutely.  The way it reads, it would appear that Fedora has created
a new firewall when in fact we have just made the existing firewall
more user friendly and easier to maintain.  It's an important
distinction.

If people think we are doing something different on the back-end then
they want to know what it is and if it's secure and tested.  I think
Fedora gets more points for providing better functionality to an
existing product.

Eric