Self-Introduction: Mel Chua

Mel Chua mechua at redhat.com
Fri May 29 17:17:35 UTC 2009

I'm Mel Chua*, and I'll be a Max-and-Greg CommArch minion[0] for a few
months. I'm usually in Boston but will also be in Raleigh and San
Fransisco at various points this summer. Among other things, I'm an
open-source-in-education geek with an electrical & computer engineering
background and quite a bit of history in the OLPC[1] and Sugar Labs[2]
projects, which some of you here might know me from.

Fedorawise, I'm still watching and learning and haven't yet jumped on
particular projects, but one of my constant interests is learning how to
spark up the open-source mentality in academia through working on stuff
like http://teachingopensource.org/index.php/POSSE. Fedora is a great
example of a learning ecosystem that's done way better than academic
institutions at creating folks who can Make Real Stuff For Real people,
so figuring out how that happens and how to spread the word of it is the
first thing I'll be hurtling towards. Not sure exactly what that means
yet, but I'll listen for a while and let you know. ;)

Potentially useful skills - feel free to grab me on IRC (mchua) to do
things in the impending release rush:

* mediawiki ninja. I keep/make pages good-lookin', spam-free,
well-linked, content-o-riffic, and push stuff that should be on the
wiki, to the wiki.
* documentation nerd. teach me something and I'll write it up so well
you'll never have to teach it to anyone else again.
* hackathon/event wrangling. I've run unconferences, hackathons,
workshops, and most kinds of grassroots events you can think of, and can
do it well enough to teach others.
* breaking things. I used to be in QA, and my specialty is breaking
things (technology and content) like a very creative newbie might. Point
me towards something and I will get confused and tell you exactly why.

[0] https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/User:Mchua
[1] http://wiki.laptop.org/go/User:Mchua
[2] http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/User:Mchua

*only my parents call me Mallory. I also go by mchua on IRC.