Screenshots for one-page release notes

Paul Frields stickster at gmail.com
Tue Nov 3 20:17:42 UTC 2009

One of the main things we need help with in the one-page release notes
are screenshots.  The wiki text is here, and includes placeholders for
screenshots:

https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Fedora_12_one_page_release_notes

Anyone can do screenshots, but you *must* create an updated Rawhide
(or F12 Beta + updates) box to do it.  You can use a virtual guest
machine or a "real" machine for most screenshots.

This is something *ANYONE* can help with!

Just for reference, here's how I usually do them:

1. Set up a brand-new account on an up-to-date Rawhide box. Doesn't
matter what the account name is, but I set the "real name" to "Fedora
User" to be sex-nonspecific.

2. Log in as that user, and set the display resolution to something
fairly low, like 800x600 or 1024x768 using System > Preferences >
Display.

All the other settings will be system defaults at that point, which is
exactly what you want for accurate screenshots. Unless you're
demonstrating how to change a default, you should *use* a default, so
that the resulting shot looks virtually identical to what the reader
sees.

There's a reference for formal docs here:
http://docs.fedoraproject.org/documentation-guide/en_US/sn-screenshots.html

...but that's really for formal docs in DocBook XML and not wiki-based
stuff. I don't know if there's a recommended maximum size for shots in
the wiki, but my guess is that sticking to a 500px maximum width on
the wiki page should be best.  You don't have to resize the image
yourself, I believe you can use the wiki to do it automatically like
this:

[[Image:my_new_picture.png | 500px]]

The picture should automatically link to the image page with the full
size picture available if needed by the reader.  If you need help with
anything, please feel free to ask on the list or come by IRC Freenode
at #fedora-mktg.