[in the news] Users howl as Fedora 12 gives root to unwashed masses

Mel Chua mel at redhat.com
Fri Nov 20 08:53:00 UTC 2009

On 11/20/2009 02:04 AM, susmit shannigrahi wrote:
>> http://www.theregister.co.uk/2009/11/19/fedora_12_root_imbroglio/
>
> The site has posted this update at the top of the article.
>

> "Updated: This story was updated about 11 hours after it was published
> to reflect that Fedora developers have reversed course. Operating
> system users once again will be required to enter a root password
> before installing software packages."

Thanks for the heads-up, Susmit!

Richard33, adamw, and MacroRodent rock. Sharp eyes, calm words, fast action.

Actually, I think I'll post a roundup of examples of good responses that
I've seen, and the resources I've seen those people use, so that it's
hopefully easier for the rest of us to Go And Do Likewise.

I believe a "how to respond to negative press" HOWTO was discussed at
one point - perhaps this would be a good thing to spend one of our
sprint sessions on after this settles down, as a way to reflect on how
we did this time and make sure future generations have this history to
learn from, too.

--Mel "whoa, I'm slow at writing emails tonight" Chua