New blog post

Colby Hoke choke at redhat.com
Wed Oct 7 16:22:50 UTC 2009

Rahul Sundaram wrote:
> On 10/07/2009 06:41 PM, Paul W. Frields wrote:
>

>> This is not a Fedora video -- it's a video for Red Hat customers in
>> particular.  The fact that I happen to be in it, explaining the
>> pipeline, should not obscure that.
>>

> I assume you were in it because Fedora is a key part of that message and
> I assume that is the reason it was highlighted to this list specifically
> leaving aside many of the other videos that Red Hat has produced
> recently. Either way, I would prefer us to enable the community to
> enable translations for the videos without asking permission to do so.
> That applies to all the Red Hat short videos like these ones but
> especially ones that involve Fedora because the community certainly
> would be interested in that.
>
> Rahul

So, from the video team here, we pretty much have our hands tied to the
ND clause. We have a video here, with Paul talking about how this and
that happens, including how our products and services work.

Put yourself in the shoes of legal - someone takes this video, cuts it
up to make us look bad or misrepresent us in some way- let your
imagination run free... That video gets uploaded, blogged about, people
assume it's from us and someone takes exception. The one hard part about
Creative Commons is the Attribution. On one hand, we want people to know
who originally made the video, on the other hand we don't want our name
associated with a derivative that is malicious.

It's tough to do, but we're getting closer. We don't default to
CC-BY-NC-ND anymore- the default drops the NC from that. It's a step in
the right direction and we have it as a goal to do more SA videos. Yes,
we've only done one, to date, but I want our team to do it whenever
possible.

It's a very good idea for the future Fedora videos to be CC-BY-SA. I'll
see what I can do as far as that goes, but we have to follow the advice
of legal counsel.

As Paul said, this isn't a "Fedora video," so we can't drop the ND. Feel
free, if you want to do translations, to email me directly and I'll put
in in the creative queue here and get it done for you. (That said, if I
get dozens of them, it may be near impossible, but I'll do everything I
can to help.)

Thanks for understanding and thanks even more for being so passionate
about this issue- I'm in total agreement on being as open as possible,
but there are certain situations where that can't happen due to the
risks involved... for now.

--

Colby A. Hoke

[ Producer ]