New blog post

Colby Hoke choke at redhat.com
Wed Oct 7 19:56:48 UTC 2009

Máirín Duffy wrote:
> On 10/07/2009 12:22 PM, Colby Hoke wrote:
>> As Paul said, this isn't a "Fedora video," so we can't drop the ND. Feel
>> free, if you want to do translations, to email me directly and I'll put
>> in in the creative queue here and get it done for you. (That said, if I
>> get dozens of them, it may be near impossible, but I'll do everything I
>> can to help.)
>
> If the translators could provide the translations in *.srt or *.sub
> format, would that make this easier? Then you don't need to manipulate
> the original video file at all...
>
> ~m

I've never used these formats. I don't know know how it works and I'm
not sure about the legal implications of using that as an overlay to the
video.

I kinda look at it like this: we have patents at Red Hat, right? Oooooh
everyone gets scared! But, we have them not because we might exercise
them for our gain, we have them so others don't have them. So that
others can't use them for their gain. We have them for peace of mind.

I kinda feel like, if you wanna remix a video, you're going to do it
anyway. If you want to subtitle it, do it.

If it is malicious and we take exception, we have a leg to stand on with
the ND. I'm not advocating violating the license, just saying...

I feel like licenses are there to protect you, not from the good guys
(and gals), but from the bad ones. This is probably most why IANAL.

--

Colby A. Hoke

[ Producer ]
Brand Communications + Design