New blog post

Rahul Sundaram sundaram at fedoraproject.org
Thu Oct 8 01:21:25 UTC 2009

On 10/08/2009 12:40 AM, Colby Hoke wrote:.

> For example, there was a remix of the Truth Happens video that was put
> in with some very questionable material. It was offensive. Due to the
> copyright (back then we used copyright), we were able to go after that
> video and, I assume, have it taken it down.

If you allow people to create remixes, they will create some bad remixes
but so what? I know of exactly one example of such a thing tnat that is
one you are citing here, in how many years of Red Hat putting out videos
like this?  The example also shows that people who actually go about
creating such bad remixes don't have a damn about copyright or
licensing. They just will do it and I am pretty sure I can find a copy
of that video regardless of what Red Hat does at this point.

Look at this this way:  Red Hat releases tens of thousands of lines of
code and content (such as documentation or even fonts) under various
free and open source licenses. It is possible and even likely that
someone will add a bad patch to what Red Hat has released or even fork
it on occasions. It doesn't negate the benefits at all.

Rahul