What happened in June of 2009 within the Fedora Project?

Joerg Simon jsimon at fedoraproject.org
Wed Oct 14 13:20:49 UTC 2009

Hi Gregory,

if a FOSS community starts to deal to much with itself it could be, that focus
gets lost and is not healthy.
I think there is a risk to fail if one is trying to succesfully transport
business measurement techniques one to one from business world into a FOSS
Project. Measurement is about control and business controlls will not work
here. But maybe we can adopt some of it! Please, this is not meant as a
discouragement, it is a good idea to learn how things work in FOSS first - i
know you are very eager to start and that is the reason i try provide you an
answer for your questions - maybe we can achieve something great by combine
things from both world.

On Wednesday 14 October 2009 14:22:11 Gregory Zysk wrote:
> One thing I would like to start with to help all of you form a marketing
> mindset is to ask the question of "What happened in June of 2009 within the
> Fedora Project?
>
> As you can see: https://fedorahosted.org/fama/wiki/AmbassadorMetrics views
> that we have had a steady increase since measurement began in January of
> 2006. That is until June of 2009.

Just for notice - Fedora is far more than the Ambassadors Group which is only
a (large) sub-project

> Once we can answer this question, we can begin to answer these
> sub-questions:
> 1) Who were these ambassadors?

In the past the Ambassador Group was often used by new Contributors as an
entry level Group - which is what the Ambassador Group is definitely not -
because you have not only to present Fedora as an OS - also the Project itself
and therefore it is imperative to know the project better than anybody else.
This is the reason why we have established a strong mentoring process and have
a new membership process.

You can see the result, who they are where they are from ...
for the last month's here
https://fedorahosted.org/fama/report/6

> 2) What specific contributor groups were they apart of?

this should be easy to get from FAS by writing a script -  is there a
volunteer around ;) ?

> 3) Where did they go after they left the ambassador group?

You will notice the incursion in Jun 09 this was a big clean up
of inactive accounts
http://kitall.blogspot.com/2009_07_01_archive.html

Hope this helps to clarify a bit

cu Joerg

--
Joerg (kital) Simon
jsimon at fedoraproject.org
http://kitall.blogspot.com
Key Fingerprint:
3691 0989 2DCA 58A2 8D1F 2CAC C823 558E 5B5B 5688