What happened in June of 2009 within the Fedora Project?

Gregory Zysk gz.int.project at gmail.com
Wed Oct 14 13:48:04 UTC 2009

On Wed, Oct 14, 2009 at 3:20 PM, Joerg Simon <jsimon at fedoraproject.org>wrote:

> Hi Gregory,
>
> if a FOSS community starts to deal to much with itself it could be, that
> focus
> gets lost and is not healthy.
> I think there is a risk to fail if one is trying to succesfully transport
> business measurement techniques one to one from business world into a FOSS
> Project. Measurement is about control and business controlls will not work
> here. But maybe we can adopt some of it! Please, this is not meant as a
> discouragement, it is a good idea to learn how things work in FOSS first -
> know you are very eager to start and that is the reason i try provide you
> an
> answer for your questions - maybe we can achieve something great by combine
> things from both world.
>

>>>Joerg, I agree with you and do not want anyone to get the impression of
that these measurement will be used for "control" purposes. A combination
will be the best solution. Those people or companies which view the Fedora
project from the outside will not always have the "open source/FOSS mindet"
Especially those institutions within society which we are trying to "sell"
or concept to (such as companies, NPO's, NGO's) since they have to abide by
the legal contexts in which national and international law permits them to.
I believe in order to properly promote Fedora at events or the like, we must
be able to understand the "user" target group from a broader scale. This
means transformative tactics in communication have to be used. Fedora
Ambassadors and marketing members have to know how organizations and people
think outside the community in order to target them, thus providing us with
a broader target user base. Nonetheless, whether it is marketing in a
non-profit, social venture or for profit organization the same general
approaches/methods are used.

> On Wednesday 14 October 2009 14:22:11 Gregory Zysk wrote:
> > One thing I would like to start with to help all of you form a marketing
> > mindset is to ask the question of "What happened in June of 2009 within
> the
> > Fedora Project?
> >
> > As you can see: https://fedorahosted.org/fama/wiki/AmbassadorMetricsviews
> > that we have had a steady increase since measurement began in January of
> > 2006. That is until June of 2009.
>
> Just for notice - Fedora is far more than the Ambassadors Group which is
> only
> a (large) sub-project
>

>>> Thanks, I understand this.

> > Once we can answer this question, we can begin to answer these
> > sub-questions:
> > 1) Who were these ambassadors?
>
> In the past the Ambassador Group was often used by new Contributors as an
> entry level Group - which is what the Ambassador Group is definitely not -
> because you have not only to present Fedora as an OS - also the Project
> itself
> and therefore it is imperative to know the project better than anybody
> else.
> This is the reason why we have established a strong mentoring process and
> have
> a new membership process.
>

>>> Thanks, I understand this also.

> You can see the result, who they are where they are from ...
> for the last month's here
> https://fedorahosted.org/fama/report/6
>
> > 2) What specific contributor groups were they apart of?
>
> this should be easy to get from FAS by writing a script -  is there a
> volunteer around ;) ?

> > 3) Where did they go after they left the ambassador group?
>
> You will notice the incursion in Jun 09 this was a big clean up
> of inactive accounts
> http://kitall.blogspot.com/2009_07_01_archive.html
>

>>> There is the answer I was looking for. So, maybe we need to adjust the
metrics to reflect this?

> Hope this helps to clarify a bit
>
> cu Joerg
>
> --
> Joerg (kital) Simon
> jsimon at fedoraproject.org
> http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/JoergSimon
> http://kitall.blogspot.com
> Key Fingerprint:
> 3691 0989 2DCA 58A2 8D1F 2CAC C823 558E 5B5B 5688

Gregory Zysk

https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/User:Gmzysk

Fingerprint: 4643 E1AE 1AAD 85D4 6276
                 7C42 3591 A189 B8BF 04D6