What happened in June of 2009 within the Fedora Project?

Gregory Zysk gz.int.project at gmail.com
Wed Oct 14 17:36:15 UTC 2009

On Wed, Oct 14, 2009 at 6:22 PM, Christoph Wickert <
christoph.wickert at googlemail.com> wrote:

> Am Mittwoch, den 14.10.2009, 17:35 +0200 schrieb Gregory Zysk:
>
> > There is a problem with measuring downloads though, it does not give
> > us a realistic number of how many people actually use Fedora.
>
> We do have smolt data for that:
> http://smolt.fedoraproject.org/static/stats/stats.html
>
> > It goes for the same ranking system on
> > http://distrowatch.com/stats.php?section=popularity. These popularity
> > rankings are just based off of downloads and just give us data to
> > reflect just that: downloads.
>
> And you think distrowatch is more representative? I don't think so.
>

>>> It is representative for downloads, or at least some of them.

> Distrowatch is counting visitors by user agent strings. Ask yourself:
> Who visits distrowatch?

>>>I did!! That is how I cam to using Fedora. That is how everyone I know
has referred me to and the same way they came to using FOSS.

> Likely somebody who is looking for a new distro
> to try. So are these people really happy with their distro or even
> convinced of it?

>>>This is accomplished by separate surveys or sampling techniques.

> This is something the numbers cannot show.
>

>>>Once a methodology and research design is set in place. These numbers
will show exactly what you have created them to be.

> By counting uniqe visits, you wont get numbers of OS installations or
> users, because you don't know how often people visit that site. There
> are people who say the number of Fedora installs is actually larger than
> the number of Ubuntu installations, but quite a lot of them are servers
> running in data centers [1]. They will never show up at distrowatch
> because servers usually don't visit that site. ;)
>

>>>This from an objective point of view is just opinion. You ask an Ubuntu
user and they will say they have the most. You ask a person who works for
microsoft who has the best OS? Don't be surprised if they say: microsoft.

> Regards,
> Christoph
>
> [1] Just look at the high number of virtual machines in smolt.

Gregory Zysk

https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/User:Gmzysk

Fingerprint: 4643 E1AE 1AAD 85D4 6276
                 7C42 3591 A189 B8BF 04D6